Here’s a continuation to the Twelve Kingdoms’ Suiguutou commission for neoqueenhoneybee. This has been a long, slow process, but I’m definitely learning new things. The good news is that It looks like it will be completed this week! These photos are still WIPs, but it will be done soon.
I originally intended to light the blade with EL tape, but I might have kind of accidentally blew out one of the strips. They were kind of pricey, so I went with LED strips instead, which were not only cheaper, but much more power efficient. Once I attached the strips to the aluminum core, I sandwiched that between the translucent blades. I laser etched and cut out the guard pattern then attached and patched it. Finally, it was painted, the handle was wrapped in stretch leather, and the tassel was tied on.
Next was the sheath, which is L-200 foam laminated with black leather-like vinyl. All of the detail will be added with worbla, which is a new material for me.
I had finished this a while ago, but decided to go back and redo some pieces to clean them up a bit. I blended the spirals on the sheath tip some more and completely resculpted the face pattern with Milliput to make it more crisp. Ignore the binder clip on the sheath. The glue is curing on the string and it’s being used to keep everything in place. I’ll get some nice garden shots tomorrow if the weather is nice.